Creating a healthier, happier you.
4 TIPS TO TRANSFORM YOUR GYM EXPERIENCE FOR BETTER WORKOUTS
I often have clients who struggle with the idea of going to the gym. That’s completely valid, I know the gym can be an intimidating place. But as much as I understand that fear, I’m here to help you move away from that and find your self-confidence.
With these four tips, you can transform your experience at the gym, optimize your fitness progress, and establish a happy, healthy routine. I love helping people find their footing when it comes to the gym and working out.
MAKE SURE YOU'RE LIFTING THE RIGHT WEIGHT
This one can be tough, but trust me, it can really influence your progress and overall gym experience. If you’re not lifting heavy enough, every set is going to be too easy, which means you’re not going to be building muscle and achieving the results you’re hoping for.. But if you’re lifting weights that are too heavy for you, you’re going to lose your form and can even injure yourself.
So how do you know if you are lifting heavy enough?
- First, check your form. If you can’t complete the exercise with the correct form or you start to swing your body to accommodate the weight, then it’s too heavy. The main thing to remember here is that control is key. I’m not saying it should be easy, but I always want you to feel like you have control over your legs, arms, back, and core as you lift. If that control isn’t there, your form is going to suffer.
- If you can’t finish the rep range, then the weight is too heavy. The goal is to keep proper form while completing a set, so by that last motion, I want you to feel like you can barely complete it – but I want you to be able to complete it nonetheless. Remember, it should be tough, but it shouldn’t feel impossible.
- On the other and, if you can easily do a few more reps after the prescribed rep range, the weight is too light and won’t do much for you in terms of muscle growth. You need to be really focusing your effort on completing these exercises, and if it’s too light, you’re probably not trying that hard to maintain proper form and find control.
REPLACE YOUR PRE-WORKOUT WITH GREENS
Greens have changed my life. A year ago I was working to heal my gut, and I started replacing my pre-workout with Greens. Pretty much immediately I couldn’t believe how much better I felt. I didn’t crash after my workouts, I had more mental clarity, I was more regular, I didn’t get headaches, and my bloating completely went away!
Instead of starting your morning with artificial sweeteners and chemicals that will wreak havoc on your adrenals and gut health, try swapping it with my Greens that have natural energy and will actually help your body. Make sure your Greens are organic so you don’t get pesticides and roundup in your supplements. And you want your greens to be thick. That’s the good stuff! If they are watery, they’re probably not doing much.
Taking these Greens can:
- Boost your immune system
- Give you natural energy with green tea
- Absorb toxins along the intestinal walls
- Balance your pH
- Manage your weight
- Lower the inflammatory response
- Improve digestion
- Cleanse and detoxify
If you’re ready to try them, you can purchase my Greens powder HERE!
FOCUS ON FORM
Form is everything when it comes to lifting. When you know what correct form looks and feels like, it can totally transform your effort at the gym.
Listen, it’s hard enough to get to the gym most days, especially when there are so many other things on our to-do lists, so I don’t want you to waste your time while you’re there. Learning form cues can help you feel more confident and safer during your workout, and you won’t spend time trying to figure out what you’re supposed to be doing.
I send my clients form cues for every exercise so they know exactly what they should be doing and they feel more empowered, so if you’re looking for some extra support, I’ve got you! Just reach out with any questions or concerns, and we can get you on the right path for your goals and fitness journey. My IG page also has a lot of great reels that detail proper form on select exercises, so be sure to follow along!
Related: Simple Form Corrections
LET GO OF THAT SELF CONSCIOUSNESS
When clients say they are nervous to go to the gym because they feel like people will judge them or think they won’t know what they are doing, here is what I always tell them:
People could care less about you in the gym.
Honestly. They are in their own little world thinking about their stuff, their exercises, their outfit, their plans for the day… The list goes on. No one is paying attention to you and your lifts, so you can just focus on yourself! That being said, I know that’s easier said than done sometimes, so here are some tips to leave the insecurity at home.
- Going into the gym with a plan is key. You’ll feel more confident when you know what to do or most likely you will just head to what you know which is a cardio machine and that will get you nowhere.
- Remember that you deserve to be there, just like everyone else. You don’t need to be a gym fanatic to take a place in the weights section. If you show up, you’re entitled to use that equipment and space just as much as everyone else. So go crush those goals!
- Put on an outfit that makes you feel good. I always feel a bit better on off days when I put on a gym outfit that makes me feel comfortable, supported, and cute. That might give you the extra boost of confidence you need to walk through those gym doors!
If you need some support, please feel free to get in touch! Having a lifting plan, a sense of accountability, and clarity about your process at the gym can all help you develop your progress and confidence and achieve your goals.
I'm a mom of 4 and have been a certified personal trainer with specialties in pre- and postnatal fitness for 13 years. I'm also a certified nutrition specialist and certified meditation and mindfulness coach.
I am passionate about helping women change their lifestyles to be the healthiest, happiest versions of themselves and I've seen it happen for thousands of women.
I'm glad you're here!
Community. We are a team and community of women committed to the creating the best in each other and ourselves. We lift, encourage, invite, and educate.
Movement. We know that moving your body makes your feel good and function better! Let use help you gain confidence and strength in your body.
Nutrition. Health starts from the inside out. We believe that balance and sustainability are best practices for achieving success in a healthy relationship with food.
Mindset. In focusing on your holistic health, we know the powerful effect mindset has your health and wellness. Learn techniques and practices to that ground you in habits for overall well-being.
GET THE GOOD STUFF
Trying to Change your attitude?
Try Bree's FREE Behavioral Change guide to help you change your mindset, and get you on the right track to meet your goals.BEHAVIORAL CHANGE GUIDE
Need a new program to workout with?
Try BodyByBree's training programs to help you feel confident at the gym! She will help you get, or stay on a healthy path to reach your full potential!TRAINING PROGRAMS
Looking for a boost in energy?
Try BodyByBree supplements to help support gut health and work together so you can perform and feel your best!